Frequency of Updates:Quarterly
EBIA COBRA: The Developing Law explores the nuances of COBRA using real-life examples as a platform for discussing the complicated COBRA rules. Written and edited by experienced employee benefits attorneys, it answers your tough questions and provides comprehensive guidance on all aspects of COBRA administration. Topics include:
- Employers and plans that must comply with COBRA
- Qualifying events, including information about who is qualified as a beneficiary
- Notices that are required
- COBRA election procedures
- Type of coverage that must be offered, and for how long
- COBRA premiums and how they're determined, and when premiums must be paid
- Why COBRA compliance is so important
- And much more
In-depth discussions, along with numerous tables, checklists, and sample documents, will keep you informed of current legal developments and assist you in your COBRA compliance efforts.
List of Content (Click any title to expand the list)
COBRA: The Developing Law
- I. COBRA Overview: The Short Course
- II. COBRA From the Qualified Beneficiary's Point of View
- III. COBRA: Sources of Law
- IV. What Employers Are Subject to COBRA?
- V. What Plans Are Subject to COBRA?
- VI. [Reserved]
- VII. Qualifying Events: What Triggers COBRA?
- VIII. Duration of COBRA Coverage
- IX. Who Must Be Offered COBRA?
- X. What Coverage Must Be Provided to Qualified Beneficiaries?
- XI. When and How Does COBRA Apply to Health FSAs and HRAs?
- XII. COBRA in Mergers, Acquisitions and Other Business Reorganizations
- XIII. [Reserved]
- XIV. Checklist: COBRA Notices and Other Plan Communications
- XV. The COBRA Initial Notice, the SPD, SBC, and Other Disclosure Issues
- XVI. Employer's Qualifying Event Notice
- XVII. Notices From Covered Employees and Qualified Beneficiaries
- XVIII. COBRA Election Notice and Notice of Unavailability
- XIX. COBRA Elections by Qualified Beneficiaries
- XX. Coverage During COBRA Election & Premium Payment Periods
- XXI. How the Plan Determines the COBRA Premium
- XXII. COBRA Premiums: Payment Deadlines and Other Rules
- XXIII. Notice of Termination of COBRA Coverage
- XXIV. Mistakes Happen: Identifying, Correcting, and Preventing COBRA Compliance Problems
- XXV. Consequences of Failing to Comply With COBRA
- XXVI. [Reserved]
- XXVII. State Continuation and Conversion Laws
- XXVIII. Special Issues: Insurance and Stop-Loss Coverage
- XXIX. Special Issues: Qualified Medical Child Support Orders
- XXX. Special Issues: COBRA and Medicare
- XXXI. COBRA Software and Outsourcing
- XXXII. Special Issues: COBRA and HIPAA
- XXXIII. Special Issues: International Issues Related to COBRA
- XXXIV. Special Issues: The Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) and the Special Second COBRA Election Period
- XXXV. Special Issues: Retiree Group Health Plan Coverage
- XXXVI. Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- XXXVII. Special Issues: COBRA Premium Assistance
- XXXVIII. Step-by-Step Compliance Guide
- Table of Contents: Sample Documents
- EBIA'S COBRA: What's New View