Frequency of Updates:
PPC's Guide to Self Employed Individuals covers critical issues related to starting, operating, and selling a sole proprietorship.
This portfolio includes in-depth coverage of services you can offer to the growing number of self-employed and home-based workers.
The latest update of this edition includes the following new features:
- Privileged Communications. Communications between clients and all federally authorized tax practitioners are privileged provided the communications relate to tax advice. The Guide has added a discussion of privileged communications including what is covered, how the privilege can be waived, responding to summons, and steps practitioners can take to ensure communication is privileged.
- Consulting Services. Performing consulting services may impact a CPA's independence. The Guide includes expanded coverage of this topic, including discussion of the regulatory guidance affecting the independence standard.
- Additional SE Tax. An additional 0.9% tax is imposed on SE income above certain thresholds beginning in 2013. The Guide includes a law change alert and guidance on this new tax.
- Hobby Losses. The Tax Court frequently rules on hobby loss cases. The Guide includes a table of key factors present in various hobby loss decisions.
- Transportation Costs. A flowchart for determining when transportation costs are deductible has been added to the Guide.
- Self-Employed Individuals
- INTRODUCTORY MATERIAL
- Chapter 1 A Model for Self-employed Individual Tax Planning
- Chapter 2 Starting A Self-employment Activity
- Chapter 3 Operating a Business from the Owner's Residence
- Chapter 4 Compensating Family Members and Fringe Benefit Issues
- Chapter 5 Retirement Plans for the Self-employed Individual
- Chapter 6 Loss Limitations Affecting Self-employed Individuals
- Chapter 7 Minimizing Self-employment Tax
- Chapter 8 Disposing of a Proprietorship
- Chapter 9 Marketing Self-employed Individual Tax Planning Services
- List of Substantive Changes and Additions (June 2014) View