See also the Business Tax Planning package, which includes the online version of this PPC planning guide.
PPC's Guide to Small Employer Retirement Plans provides practical guidance for plan advisors, administrators, and fiduciaries for all qualified retirement plan needs - from plan design and administration to termination. It covers plans typically sponsored by small businesses, including profit-sharing plans, 401(k) plans, SEPs, SARSEPs, SIMPLE IRA plans, payroll deduction IRAs, and defined benefit plans.
Real-life examples and more than 130 practice aids help in understanding the complex rules and compliance issues for qualified retirement plans. Sample reports, statements, worksheets, and step-by-step guidance will help you accurately and efficiently complete compliance testing and comply with notice requirements. Quick reference tables help you quickly understand what the reporting and disclosure requirements are as well as the compliance limits that apply to qualified plans.
You'll be able to address nearly every plan issue you might encounter for qualified retirement plans maintained by small employers, including:
- Fiduciary Liability - Understand the duties of fiduciaries, liabilities of plan fiduciaries for breach of fiduciary duty, and the claims brought by recent court cases
- Employee Eligibility and Vesting - Understand the rules and consequences surrounding employee eligibility and vesting
- Nondiscrimination Rules - Know how to maximize benefits for HCEs without violating the nondiscrimination rules
- Contribution and Deduction Limit - Correctly apply the contribution and deduction limits to avoid excess contributions and deductions and related excise taxes
- Plan Distributions - Understand rules that apply to plan distributions and complying with notice and rollover requirements
- Plan Loans - Comply with rules for plan loans to participants, including hardship distributions and avoiding prohibited transactions and deemed distributions
- Fixing Plan Errors - Identify common plan failures and how to correct errors without risking plan disqualification
Authored by respected internal and external industry experts with decades of practice experience, the Guide is an extensive resource for complying with the complex rules surrounding qualified retirement plans.